This event has now finished
GET TO KNOW US:
Neighbourhood is about creating a network of local musicians in the city of Birmingham, creating an environment in which progressive urban music can develop, community can be grown and a generous/collaborative culture can be nurtured.
That said, if you're not a performer, this night is attracting an incredibly high level of musicianship and artistry so turn up expecting a truly exciting and spectacular show!
PAY AS YOU FEEL:
The event is free entry but we strongly encourage you to donate on the night. We would recommend about £5. There's a lot of people giving their time and resources to make this happen and we want this night to grow.
That said, everyone's on a different wage and we don't want anyone to be missing out or feel like they can't contribute as much. If you've enjoyed the show and want to invest in those involved, we don't mind if you give a couple of quid or £10 as long as it comes from a place of generosity.
JAM ETIQUETTE (read with light tone!)
- Say please
- Ask the host if you can jump on stage as there may be people waiting to go up next. You can also ask nicely to use other musicians breakables but drummers, please bring your own sticks.
- Keep your ears peeled to what other people are playing. See what melodies you can pick up or vibe off of.
- It’s OK not to play
- You don't need to be playing all the way through the jam and you don’t have to play anything fancy. One note per bar could sound great! This goes for MCs and singers as well. Leave room for the band to play out at times.
- NO FUNCTION TUNES
- The idea is to push ourselves out of our comfort zones. Reference Stevie and Chaka at times if you want but let’s innovate!
- Who’s next?
- Some people can be shy or modest so don’t always assume that because no one’s jumping up that they don’t want to. Always look to pass the baton on!
Our vision is to recreate what's happening on Future- Soul platforms like 'Soulection' in a live performance context.
So you can audibly visualize the sound for the night; we love artists like J Dilla, Chance the Rapper, Robert Glasper, Outkast, Janelle Monáe, Anderson Paak., NER*D, The Roots, Hiatus Kaiyote, Tom Misch and Frank Ocean.
We'll see you there!